Together, a decadent Yuzu Kosho butter and miso foam deliver a complex spicy, citrusy, and aromatic bite that pairs well with the sweet, caramelized flavours of golden scallops. Bursting with umami, this dish will transport you to a place of ocean views, crashing waves, and sandy beaches in an instant.
This recipe is featured in the Beyond Heat Trend of the Flavour Forecast 23rd Edition. Explore more Flavour Forecast recipes here.
Edamame Crumble | Serves 4
- 1 1/2 cups (375 milliliters) Shelled Edamame, fresh or frozen thawed
- 2 tsps (10 milliliters) Vegetable Oil
- 1/4 tsp (1 milliliter) Club House ® Ginger, Ground
Miso Foam | Serves 4
- 1/2 cup (125 milliliters) Whole Milk
- 1/3 cup (70 milliliters) Heavy Whipping Cream, cold
- 3 tbsps (45 milliliters) Red Miso Paste
- 1 tsp (5 milliliters) Fish Sauce
- 1 tsp (5 milliliters) Liquid Sunflower Lecithin, optional stabilizer
- 1/2 tsp (2 milliliters) Tamari
Yuzu Kosho Scallops | Serves 4
- 1 1/2 tsps (7 milliliters) Vegetable Oil
- 12 each Sea Scallops, patted dry
- 3 tbsps (45 milliliters) Yuzu Kosho Butter
- 2 tsps (10 milliliters) Yuzu Kosho
- Set oven to 375°F (190°C). Toss edamame with oil and ginger to coat. Spread in even layer on large parchment-lined sheet tray.
- Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until golden brown and crispy. Cool slightly. Coarsely chop or crumble edamame. Hold for service.
- Place all ingredients in bowl. Blend using an immersion blender 1 to 2 minutes or until mixture resembles a thick foam. Hold refrigerated for service.
- Heat oil on high heat until shimmering. Add scallops, cook 2 to 3 minutes on one side to sear. Add Yuzu Kosho Butter to skillet. Turn scallops; cook 1 to 2 minutes longer, basting frequently with melted butter until lightly browned and cooked through.
- For each serving, plate 3 scallops and drizzle with melted Yuzu Kosho Butter from skillet. Spoon Miso Foam around scallops. Top scallops with prepared Yuzu Kosho and sprinkle with Edamame Crumble to serve.
Alternative cooking method: Set oven to 350°F(180°C). Slice Yuzu Kosho Butter into 12 thin slices. Place scallops in cleaned shells. Arrange on large, rimmed baking sheet. Top each scallop with a slice of butter. Bake 3 to 4 minutes or until butter is melted and bubbly and scallops are cooked through.
Alternative plating method: If serving scallops in the shell, add miso foam to bottom of shell and top each scallop with Yuzu Kosho and Edamame Crumble.
- Recipe type: Flavour Forecast