If you’ve ever dreamed of the perfect chicken sandwich, this is it. From the crispy crust starring Flavour Inspirations Vietnamese x Cajun Style Seasoning, to the quick pickles and cool, creamy aioli, this sandwich delivers a unique combination of Cajun-inspired heat and signature Vietnamese savouriness and lemongrass to make every bite irresistibly delicious.
This recipe is featured as a part of the Flavour Forecast 23rd Edition McCormick Flavour of the Year, Vietnamese x Cajun. Explore more Flavour Forecast recipes HERE.
Quick Pickles | Serves 6
- 1 cup (250 milliliters) English Cucumber, slice dinto rounds
- 1 cup (250 milliliters) Carrots, peeled, cut into matchsticks
- 2 tbsps (30 milliliters) Lime Juice
- 1 tbsp (15 milliliters) Thai Kitchen® Premium Fish Sauce
Cajun Aioli | Serves 6
- 3/4 cup (175 milliliters) Mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp (15 milliliters) Capers, drained, rinsed
- 1 tbsp (15 milliliters) Brine from Quick Pickles
- 1 1/2 tsps (7 milliliters) Vietnamese x Cajun Style Seasoning
Fried Chicken Sandwich | Serves 6
- 1 cup (250 milliliters) buttermilk
- 1 tsp (5 milliliters) Vietnamese x Cajun Style Seasoning
- 6 each Boneless Skinless Chicken Thighs, trimmed (about 1 1/2 lb/750 g)
- 2 1/2 cups (625 milliliters) Flour
- 2 tsps (10 milliliters) Baking Powder
- 4 tsps (20 milliliters) Vietnamese x Cajun Style Seasoning
- 1/3 cup (75 milliliters) Buttermilk
- 3 tbsps (45 milliliters) Butter, melted
- 1 tbsp (15 milliliters) Vietnamese x Cajun Style Seasoning
- 6 each Soft White Sandwich Rolls, split
- Mix all ingredients until well blended. Hold refrigerated at least 1 hour or until service, tossing occasionally to mix.
- Mix all ingredients to combine. Hold refrigerated for Service.
- In a bowl, whisk first amount of buttermilk and first amount of Seasoning to blend. Add chicken and toss until well coated. Cover and refrigerate at least 1 hour or overnight.
- In a bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and second amount of Seasoning. Stir in second amount of buttermilk. Blend flour mixture with clean hands until mixture resembles wet sand.
- Remove chicken from buttermilk mixture. Dredge each piece of chicken in flour mixture, squeezing the flour mixture onto the chicken to create a thick coating on both sides. Place on a clean rack and let stand for 5 minutes to allow the flour to hydrate. Hold refrigerated for service.
- Set fryer to 375°F (190°F). For each serving, fry one portion of chicken until golden brown and internal temp reaches 165°F (74°C). Allow to drain.
- In a bowl, mix butter and third amount of Seasoning. Brush hot fried chicken evenly with butter mixture. Spread Aioli on cut sides of rolls. Serve chicken on rolls topped with Quick Pickles.
Find the recipe here to make your own Vietnamese x Cajun Style Seasoning.
- Recipe type: Flavour Forecast