Asian XO sauce gets an Italian twist in this rich, umami-forward take on a classic Mediterranean dish. Stir-fried broccolini is drizzled in a sweet, salty Italian XO sauce and served with seared garlic pork atop warm polenta … the stuff dinner dreams are made of.
- 1. Place pork in large bowl. Add garlic, 1/4 teaspoon (1ml) of the sea salt, pepper and vinegar; toss to coat well. Heat 1 tablespoon (15ml) of the oil in large skillet on high heat. Add pork; brown on all sides. Remove pork from skillet. Set aside.
- 2. Heat remaining 2 tablespoons (30ml) oil in same skillet until shimmering. Add broccolini; stir-fry until tender crisp, about 5 minutes. Stir in XO Sauce, tossing to coat broccolini. Return pork to pan; cook and stir until heated through.
- 3. Meanwhile, for the Polenta, bring stock, milk and remaining 1 teaspoon of the sea salt to boil in large saucepan. Whisking constantly, add polenta in thin stream. Reduce heat to low; stirring constantly, simmer 3 to 4 minutes or until thickened. Remove from heat. Stir in cheese and butter. Serve pork and broccolini over Polenta with additional XO Sauce. Sprinkle with additional Parmesan cheese.
Test Kitchen Tips:
• XO sauce, the iconic condiment, was first created in Hong Kong. Meant to impress, it is known to be a luxury blend typically made with dried shrimp and scallops, Chinese dry-cured ham, garlic and various chiles. The ingredients, combined in a base of oil, create an intense sweet, salty, rich umami flavour.
- Recipe type: Flavour Forecast