A happy marriage of French and Vietnamese flavors and cuisine, this recipe applies the French technique of confit to the popular Vietnamese sandwich, Bánh Mì. The result is an umami-loaded, melt-in-your-mouth mushroom confit sandwich filling, that when paired with a citrusy aioli, and crisp garnishes, truly elevates the sandwich game to new heights.
This recipe is featured in the Everyday French Trend of the Flavor Forecast 23rd Edition. Explore more Flavor Forecast recipes here.
Confit Mushrooms | Serves 4
- 1 each Shallot, medium, peeled and smashed
- 4 each Garlic Cloves, medium, smashed
- 4 Fresh Rosemary, large
- 4 Fresh Tyhme, large
- 4 Fresh Oregano, large
- 2 tsps (10 milliliters) Club House ® Coriander Seed
- 2 tsps (10 milliliters) Club House Black Peppercorn Grinder
- 4 eaches Club House ® Cloves, Whole
- 2 eaches Club House ® Bay Leaves, Whole
- 4 eaches Star Anise, such as El Guapo®
- 1 1/2 pounds (680 grams) Portobello Mushroom Caps, sliced
- 3 1/3 cups (820 milliliters) Vegetable Oil, plus more for brushing
- 1 tsp (5 milliliters) Club House ® Sea Salt, French Mediterranean
- 3 tbsps (45 milliliters) Red Wine Vinegar
Citrus Aioli | Serves 4
- 3/4 Kewpie® Mayonnaise
- 1 each Lemon, medium, zested
- 2 tsps (10 milliliters) Fresh Lemon Juice
Bánh Mì | Serves 4
- 4 4 Demi-Baguettes (6-inch/15-cm), split lengthwise
- 1 each Carrot, large, cut into matchsticks (about 1 cup/250 ml)
- 2 each Persian Cucumbers, cut into ribbons
- 2 cups (500 milliliters) Mixed Greens
- 1 each Red Chili, medium, stemmed, thinly sliced
- 1 each Green Onion, green part only, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup (60 milliliters) Fresh Cilantro Leaves
- For the Mushroom Confit, place shallot, garlic, fresh herbs, coriander, peppercorns, cloves, bay leaves and star anise in center of double layer of cheesecloth. Wrap to enclose, tying tightly with butcher twine. Set aside.
- Heat heavy-bottom saucepan on medium-high heat. Brush mushrooms lightly with oil. Sear mushrooms on each side just until lightly browned, about 30 seconds per side. Reduce heat to low; sprinkle evenly with salt.
- Add oil and herb sachet to saucepan (oil should cover mushrooms). Heat on medium heat to 180°F (80°C). Reduce heat to low. Cook 25 minutes. Stir in vinegar; cook 5 minutes longer. Remove from heat. Use a slotted spoon to remove mushrooms from oil. Reserve oil for another use. Reserve mushrooms for service, holding refrigerated if needed.
- Whisk all ingredients in bowl until well blended. Hold refrigerated for service.
- Heat mushrooms in sauté pan to warm. For each sandwich, split roll lengthwise, being careful not to cut all the way through. Spread roll with Citrus Aioli. Layer with carrot, cucumber and mixed greens. Spoon Confit Mushrooms onto roll, draining any excess oil. Top with sliced chili, green onion and cilantro.
Confit oil can be reused to make more mushrooms or to prepare other confit vegetables, like tomatoes.
- Recipe type: Flavour Forecast