This Egyptian fava bean and herb dip gets its flavor from cumin, coriander, fresh cilantro, parsley, dill, lemon, almonds, and olive oil.
- Bring a pot of salted water to a boil. Add fava beans and simmer for 2 minutes. Cool and peel beans. Set aside.
- In a sauté pan over high heat add first amount of olive oil. Once hot add garlic, green onions, coriander, and cumin. Cook until softened and add peeled beans. Stir to heat through then remove from heat and cool completely.
- In a blender combine cooled bean mixture, cilantro, parsley, dill, water, lemon juice, and salt. Blend until smooth. Hold refrigerated for service.
- In a sauté pan over medium-high heat toast almonds in a dry pan until golden brown. Remove from pan and hold for service.
- Add second amount of olive oil to hot pan. Once oil is hot, add onions and sauté until caramelized. Hot hold for service.
- For each serving, plate 1 cup of bessara in desired bowl. Garnish with 2 tablespoons of onions, 1 tablespoon almonds, and drizzle with 1 teaspoon olive oil.
If using Gourmet Garden® products, use the same amount of herb paste as the recipe suggests. Bessara, also known as bissara, besarah, and tamarakt, is a soup and a bean dip in North African cuisine of Berber origin.
- Recipe type: Flavour Forecast