Slow cooked to perfection with a La Grille Brazilian Style BBQ bite to boot, this savoury sirloin feat by Boulevard Kitchen + Oyster Bar’s Chef Alex Chen will make guests fall in love with pichana all over again. Serve with a side of his Club House-seasoned chimichurri sauce.
This recipe was created for Club House for Chefs by: Alex Chen, Executive Chef of Boulevard Kitchen + Oyster Bar and Sutton Place Hotel in Vancouver.
Picanha | Serves 4
- 1 piece Pichana
- 1 tbsp (15 milliliters) Club House Black Pepper, Coarse Grind
- 3 tbsps (45 milliliters) Club House ® Sea Salt, French Mediterranean
- 3 tbsps (45 milliliters) La Grille Brazilian Style BBQ Seasoning
- 8 Thyme, fresh
- 4 tbsps (60 milliliters) Butter, clarified
Chimichurri Sauce | Serves 4
- 3 tbsps (45 milliliters) Shallots, sliced and halved
- 6 each Garlic cloves
- 2 tbsps (30 milliliters) Olive oil
- 1 tsp (5 milliliters) Club House ® Sea Salt, French Mediterranean
- 1 cup (250 milliliters) Jalapenos, charred
- 7 tbsps (105 milliliters) Basil leaves, fresh and stems removed
- 6 tbsps (90 milliliters) Cilantro leaves, fresh and stems removed
- 5 tbsps (75 milliliters) Parsley leaves, fresh and stems removed
- 3 tbsps (45 milliliters) Chives
- 1/2 tsp (2 milliliters) Club House ® Pepper, Black Coarse Cracked
- 1/2 each Lemon, juiced
- Remove beef from bag and pat dry with a napkin before removing silver skin. Score the fat, taking care not to cut too deep. Aim to only score the fat, not reaching the meat. Sprinkle with Club House Black Pepper, Coarse Grind and season with Club House Sea Salt, French Mediterranean. Sprinkle and coat front and back of the meat with La Grille Brazilian Style BBQ Seasoning before adding thyme and butter into the vacuum pack bag.
- Once complete, vacuum seal the meat. Set the circulator or steamer at 125F and cook for 2 hours. Heat up the charcoal, and once heated, lay it on top of roasting rack.
- Hold the charcoal above the fatty part of the pichana to brown the fat slightly. Line a deep pot with dry hay. Then, add the beef into the pot and torch the hay for 5 seconds until smoke and small fire appear. Shut the lid and let smoke for 2 minutes, repeat the process again. Let the beef rest for 15 minutes.
- Slowly cook shallot and garlic in olive oil till soft, about 180F. Add in a small pinch of Club House Sea Salt, French Mediterranean.
- Next, grill jalapenos over charcoal or butane torch until it blisters, then wrap charred pepper in a bowl with saran wrap for 15 minutes. Put on gloves and peel away the blistered skin and remove seeds. After skin and seeds are removed there should be about 130 g of Jalapeno left.
- Bring 5 liters of water to a boil, add in 5 tablespoons of Club House Sea Salt, French Mediterranean and blanch all the herbs for 1 minute. Remove herbs and shock in ice water for 2 minutes, then squeeze the herbs dry.
- In a Vitamix, add the blanched herbs, roasted jalapenos and confit garlic and shallot. Blend on high speed till smooth. Mix in Club House Black Pepper, Coarse Grind (1g) and Club House Sea Salt, French Mediterranean (6g). Finally, add in lemon juice to taste and adjust if using right away.
- Plate thinly sliced picanha with a side of chimichurri sauce.