- Carolina Gold Fried Chicken: 1. Preheat fryer to 350°F. In a large bowl combine buttermilk, Cattlemen's Carolina Tangy Gold BBQ Sauce, and Frank's RedHot.
2. Trim any excess fat off chicken pieces. Cut thighs in half length-wise. Add chicken to marinade, cover and refrigerate for at least 4 hours or overnight.
3. Place 2 cups of flour in a large bowl with 2 Tbsp of Cattlemen's Chicken Seasoning and whisk until well combined. Place remaining 2 cups of flour in another large bowl. Add salt and pepper and whisk until well combined.
4. Remove chicken from buttermilk and place on a wire rack to drain slightly. Place each chicken piece into the Cattlemen's seasoned flour individually. Squeeze the flour mixture into the chicken to create a thicker coating with ridges and bumps. Place on a clean rack and let sit for 5 minutes to allow the flour to hydrate. Repeat this process with the salt and pepper seasoned flour.
5. Fry chicken until golden brown and internal temperature reaches 165°F. Allow to drain on clean wire rack. Serve hot with Cattlemen's Gold Maple Syrup or Honey Mustard Aioli.
- Cheddar Scallion Waffles: 1. Preheat waffle iron (one with 4 individual waffles).
2. In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking powder, sugar, Grill Mate's seasoning, cheddar, and scallions. Set aside.
3. In another medium bowl, whisk together egg yolks, vegetable oil and milk. Pour into flour mixture and stir until well mixed.
4. Place egg whites in the bowl of a stand mixer with the whisk attachment. Beat egg whites to stiff peaks. Gently fold egg whites into the batter.
5. Spray hot waffle iron with cooking spray. Ladle 3 oz waffle batter into each mini waffle well (or about 8 oz if using a large waffle iron). Cook for 2.5 minutes. Repeat with remaining batter. Serve hot with Peppadew Whipped Butter, Cattlemen's Gold Maple Syrup or Honey Mustard Aioli.
For a cool twist in chicken and waffles try cooking your fried chicken into your waffles using our cheddar and scallion waffle recipe! Simply put half your batter into the waffle iron, add your piece of fried chicken so that the ends stick out from the waffle form. Cover with remaining batter and gently close iron and cook according to your iron.