- Culinary Connections
- Sales Support and News
Smoky and nutty with a welcome heat, this homemade spice blend defines one of West Africa’s most wildly popular street foods – the suya meat skewer. It’s easy to create – simply blend peanuts and seasonings until fine and crumbly in the food processor. Use as a rub on chicken wings or your favourite grilled meats and veggie skewers. Mix into marinades, sauces and dressings or sprinkle Suya Spice on top your favourite roasted or grilled veggies, rice, noodles and more.
Test Kitchen Tips:
• Suya Spice Blend is a staple seasoning in West Africa, especially in Nigerian cuisine. It is a flavourful dry rub typically made with a base of crushed or powdered peanuts and spices like ginger and cayenne. The nutty, fragrant blend is commonly used to season beef and chicken skewers but is also great for lamb and fish. It can be used in marinades, sauces, and dressings, as well.
• Try this Suya Spice Blend in our recipes for Grilled Suya-Spiced Wings, West African Suya Sauce and Roasted Vegetable Suya-Spiced Flatbread.
• Suya Spice Blend can be used as a “dry dip” for beef or chicken skewers, grilled shrimp, or roasted veggies to give an extra boost of flavour and texture
• Roast broccoli with garlic and olive oil. Season with a heavy sprinkle of Suya Spice Blend immediately after roasting for a smoky, spicy, nutty pop of flavour.
• Toss Suya Spice Blend with chopped tomatoes, onion, cilantro and jalapeño for a West African twist on pico de gallo.