Hailing from Malaysia, the coconutty, eggy flavour of this green jam seasoned with warm spices and a hint of black pepper is a one-way ticket to more indulgent-tasting toast, desserts and more.
- In a bowl, whisk together eggs, egg yolks, sugar, and cornstarch until smooth and slightly thickened. Set aside.
- In a saute pan toast star anise, cinnamon, and black peppercorns until fragrant. Add water and sugar and cook until sugar has caramelized. Remove from heat.
- In a saucepot over medium heat combine caramelized spices, coconut milk, pandan extract, vanilla, and salt. Heat, stirring, until mixture reaches 160°F. Slowly temper warm milk into egg mixture.
- Return tempered egg mixture to heat and cook, stirring constantly, until thickened. Remove from heat and cool completely. Hold refrigerated and use as desired.
This custard is traditionally spread on toast for breakfast but try on anything from fruit tarts to a Mille Crepe Cake.
If pandan extract is unavailable puree pandan leaves in water and strain out solids. Use 1 tablespoon of this liquid for every teaspoon extract.
- Recipe type: Flavour Forecast