A unique twist on traditional gnocchi, this version celebrates the power of sour throughout, incorporating aromatics from lime and lemon zest within each pillowy potato gnocchi, then glazed in a calamansi butter sauce, and tossed in a tangy calamansi and yuzo kosho pesto. Layer upon craveable layer of sourness and acidity will keep you coming back for more.
Potato Gnocch | Serves 6
- 2 pounds (1 kilogram) Russet Potatoes
- 2 Large Egg Yolks
- 1 tsp (5 milliliters) Orange Zest
- 1 tsp (5 milliliters) Lime Zest
- 1 tsp (5 milliliters) Kosher Salt
- 1/2 tsp (2 milliliters) Club House ® Garlic Powder
- 1/4 tsp (1 milliliter) Club House ® Onion Powder
- 1/4 tsp (1 milliliter) Club House ® Pepper, Black Ground
- 1 cup (250 milliliters) Flour, divided
- 3 tbsps (45 milliliters) Butter, unsalted
- 2 tbsps (30 milliliters) Calamansi Juice
Sour Pesto | Serves 6
- 2 cups (500 milliliters) Fresh Basil, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup (125 milliliters) Walnuts, coarsely chopped
- 1 tbsp (15 milliliters) Garlic Paste
- 2/3 cup (150 milliliters) Calamansi Juice
- 1 1/2 tsps (7 milliliters) Yuzu Kosho, prepared
- 1/4 tsp (1 milliliter) Kosher Salt
- 1/2 cup (125 milliliters) Parmesan Cheese
- Heat oven to 350°F (180°C). Bake potatoes directly on center rack of oven until very tender, about 1 hour and 30 minutes. Cut in half lengthwise; let stand until cool enough to handle, about 20 minutes. Carefully peel potatoes, discarding skins. Press potatoes through a potato ricer. Cool to room temperature.
- Spread riced potatoes into even layer on clean work surface. In a bowl, mix egg yolks, orange zest and lime zest; drizzle evenly over potatoes. Sprinkle with salt, garlic powder, onion powder, black pepper and 1/2 cup (125 ml) of the flour. Using clean hands, fold and knead potato mixture to blend. Gradually add remaining 1/2 cup (125 ml) flour, kneading just until blended.
- Divide dough into 4 portions. Roll each portion into 9-inch (22-cm) rope. Cut into 1-inch pieces and imprint with fork if desired. Dush parchment-lined sheet tray with flour. Transfer gnocchi to tray and hold refrigerated for service.
- Puree all ingredients in blender until well blended. Hold refrigerated for service.
- Set up station of boiling lightly salted water. Blanch gnocchi until floating. Pull from water and drain well.
- In skillet on medium-high heat, melt butter. Stir in calamansi juice. Add gnocchi; cook and stir until gnocchi are lightly browned. Add pesto and stir gently to coat. Serve immediately.
- Recipe type: Flavour Forecast