A throwback to trifles of years gone by, this tropical work of art wistfully layers creamy and fruity elements with a fresher, bolder take. From the refreshing mango jelly to decadent caramelized banana and passionfruit cream, lemony mascarpone, and vanilla butter cake, every bite delivers in this dreams-do-come true dessert.
Mango Jelly Layer | Serves 8
- 1 package (3 ounces/85 grams) Mango Gelatin
Caramelized Pabana Curd | Serves 8
- 1 1/3 cups (325 milliliters) Granulated Sugar, divided
- 1/2 cup (1 stick/113 g) plus 1 tablespoon (15 ml) Butter, unsalted, divided
- 2 tsps (10 milliliters) Club House ® Vanilla Extract, Pure
- 1/2 tsp (2 milliliters) Club House ® Sea Salt, French Mediterranean
- 4 Large Egg Yolks
- 1 Large Egg
- 2/3 cup (150 milliliters) Passionfruit Puree
- 2 Small Ripe Bananas, peeled and chopped
Mascarpone Cream | Serves 8
- 2 containers (8 ounces/225 ml each) Mascarpone Cream
- 1/2 cup (125 milliliters) Confectioners' Sugar
- 1 tsp (5 milliliters) Lemon Extract
- 2/3 cup (150 milliliters) Heavy Cream
To Assemble | Serves 8
- 1 cup (250 milliliters) Banana, chopped
- 1 cup (250 milliliters) Pineapple, chopped
- 1 cup (250 milliliters) Mango, chopped
- 1 cup (250 milliliters) Papaya, chopped
- 1 package (16 ounces) Prepared Pound Cake
Mango Jelly Layer
- Prepare mango gelatin as directed on package. Pour mixture evenly into 8 mini trifle dishes or coupes. Cover with plastic wrap, laying plastic directly on surface of gelatin. Refrigerate as directed until firmly set.
Caramelized Pabana Curd
- Cook 1/3 cup (75 ml) of the granulated sugar in saucepan on medium heat about 3 to 4 minutes, until deep golden brown, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat. Stir in 1 tablespoon of the butter, vanilla, and salt until well blended. Cool completely.
- Whisk remaining 1 cup (250 ml) sugar, egg yolks and whole egg in heat-proof bowl. Set aside. Mix passionfruit puree and remaining 1/2 cup (125 ml) butter in medium saucepan. Cook and stir on medium heat until butter has melted. Remove from heat. Whisk 3 tablespoons (45 ml) of the warm passionfruit mixture into the egg mixture, beating until blended. Gradually add remaining passionfruit mixture, whisking constantly until completely combined. Return mixture to saucepan. Cook on medium heat, stirring constantly, about 5 to 7 minutes or until thickened and temperature reaches 180°F (80°C). Strain through a fine mesh strainer into blender container. Add cooled caramel and banana. Cover. Blend on high speed until smooth, with center of cover removed to allow steam to escape (cover with kitchen towel to prevent splatter). Place Curd in clean bowl. Cover with plastic wrap, pressing so plastic lays directly onto surface of curd. Refrigerate at least 2 hours to set.
- Beat mascarpone, confectioners' sugar and extract in stand mixer fitted with whisk attachment. Mix on medium speed until well blended. Add heavy cream and beat on medium-high until light and fluffy. Cover and refrigerate until ready to assemble.
- Mix all ingredients for Fruit Salad in medium bowl. For each mini trifle, spread 2 tablespoons (30 ml) the mascarpone cream over the set mango gelatin. Top with a couple pound cake cubes. Spoon 2 tablespoons (30 ml) of chilled Curd over pound cake, then top with 2 tablespoons (30 ml) of the Fruit Salad. Repeat layers, starting with mascarpone and ending with fruit salad. Repeat for each remaining trifle. Serve immediately or cover tightly and refrigerate until service.
- Recipe type: Flavour Forecast