1 pounds Uncooked (21 to 25 count) shrimp, peeled and deveined
Garnishes | Serves 4
Toasted shredded coconut
Fresh mango, cubed
Mini red or green bell peppers, cut into thin rings or red or green bell pepper, diced
1. For the Broth, place ham hocks, onions, carrots and celery in 6-quart stockpot. Cook on medium heat 5 to 6 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add water, chicken stock, chile pepper and seasonings. Bring to boil. Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer 1 hour, skimming fat occasionally.
2. Remove cover and simmer 30 minutes, skimming fat occasionally. Remove ham hocks and skim fat. Whisk cornstarch and 1/4 cup water in small bowl. Add to pot with coconut milk. Cook on medium-low to medium heat 30 minutes longer. Skim fat. Stir lime juice into broth.
3. Meanwhile, for the Papaya Pica Sauce, place all ingredients in food processor. Process on high speed until smooth. Transfer to medium saucepan. Bring to boil. Reduce heat to low; simmer, uncovered, 10 to 15 minutes. Pour into medium bowl.
4. Place scallops and shrimp on plates. Place garnishes in bowls.
5. To serve, pour broth into 6-quart electric hot pot or preheated slow cooker. Allow guests to cook shrimp and scallops in broth. (Seafood should be cooked about 5 minutes or until cooked through, stirring occasionally.)
6. Let each guest customize their own bowl. Place some rice in bowl then ladle broth and seafood over rice. Stir in some Papaya Pica Sauce and top with garnishes as desired.
How to preheat a slow cooker and serve at the table: Preheat slow cooker by filling insert halfway with boiling water. Cover and heat on HIGH 45 minutes. Meanwhile, prepare broth as directed. Just before serving, empty slow cooker insert of hot water. Carefully pour hot broth into slow cooker on HIGH.