In this bold margarita, fresh pineapple, cinnamon, nutmeg, and sugar cook together to create a caramelized flavor. Then, they are combined with mezcal and lime juice for a cocktail that’s equal parts sweet, spicy, smoky and tart.
- Remove pineapple leaves; reserve for garnish. Peel, core and cut pineapple into chunks. (Yields about 4 lb/1.8 kg or 10 cups/2.5 L pineapple chunks.)
- Mix sugars, pineapple juice, cinnamon sticks and nutmeg in large heavy saucepan. Bring to a boil on medium heat. Add pineapple chunks; cook 35 minutes or until pineapple is golden brown, stirring occasionally. Let cool to room temperature. Remove cinnamon sticks.
- Place half of pineapple mixture, 12 cups (3 L) ice, 1 1/3 cup (325 mL) Mezcal, 1 cup (250 mL) lime juice and 1 ½ tbsp (22 mL) vanilla in blender container; cover. Blend until smooth. Pour into beverage glasses. Repeat with remaining ingredients. Garnish with pineapple leaves.
• Mezcal is a smoky Mexican liquor made from the agave plant, giving it a highly complex and distinctive flavor profile.
- Recipe type: Flavour Forecast