This light and fresh recipe stars matcha-spiced baked cod paired with spinach almond pesto and a fresh tomato and cucumber salad. Hints of white balsamic vinegar, lemon peel and matcha lend balance to a quick and wholesome fish dinner.
- Matcha Baked Cod: mix vinegar, olive oil, lemon peel, thyme and sea salt in medium bowl until well blended. Reserve 4 tbsp (60 mL) of the marinade for the tomato salad. Place cod in large resealable plastic bag or glass dish. Add remaining marinade; turn to coat well. Refrigerate 30 minutes.
- Spinach Pesto: place spinach, almonds, oil, water, vinegar, 2 tbsp (30 mL) matcha blend, sea salt, pepper and garlic powder in food processor or blender container; cover. Process until well blended and smooth. If pesto is too thick, blend an additional 1 to 2 tbsp (15-30 mL) of water until smooth.
- Remove cod from marinade. Discard any remaining marinade. Place cod in large shallow foil-lined baking pan. Sprinkle with remaining 4 tsp (20 mL) matcha blend and additional salt and pepper, if desired. Bake in preheated 350°F (180°C) oven 10 minutes or until fish flakes easily with a fork.
- Tomato Salad: mix tomatoes, cucumber and reserved 4 tbsp (60 mL) marinade in large bowl; toss to coat well. To serve, evenly spread 1 tbsp (15 mL) pesto on each plate where the fish will be placed. Top each with a cod fillet. Spoon tomato salad over cod.
• Matcha is a green tea powder that can be found in natural food stores, the organic and tea section of some supermarkets or online specialty stores.
- Recipe type: Flavour Forecast