10 Things You Didn’t Know About Chefs Sarah Heard and Nathan Lemley
August 31 2018
In 2017, the lives of Nathan Lemley and Sarah Heard changed forever upon the purchase of Foreign and Domestic, an American-European fare + craft beer establishment in the heart of Austin, Texas.
With Lemley a culinary school graduate and Heard an experienced executive and banquet chef, taking on an already existing restaurant, rather than starting anew, made the most sense in an already bustling, ever-expanding Texan culinary destination.
We recently spoke with Chefs Heard and Lemley to find out all the things you want to know about these top Austin chefs.
- What is your flavour philosophy?
Bold and cohesive.
- One ingredient you couldn’t live without?
Butter or tomatoes.
- One spice/seasoning that’s always in your pantry?
Smoked Sweet Paprika
- What do you consider your signature flavour profile? Why?
Foreign and domestic. Foreign spices and domestic sourcing.
- How do you ensure your customers receive the same, high quality experience with each visit?
We pay attention to the details, our standards and our guests cues. We communicate these observations with our entire staff on a regular basis.
- Which S/H best matches your personality? (ex: Ginger, because I’m spicy and sweet!)
Mexican mint marigold because we’re local, deep rooted & versatile.
- What part of your job to you find the most joy and why?
We love watching guests try new things and fall in love with them, especially items that they may not have ever thought they would be eating. The experience is very rewarding.
- How do you feed your passion for flavour?
By experiencing other restaurants and playing with new flavour combinations.
- Your favourite spice/seasoning and why?
Cardamom. It’s so fragrant and versatile.
- Your chef hero?
Learn more about Chefs Nathan Lemley & Sarah Heard.