10 Things You Didn’t Know About Chef Mandel Hitzer
April 30 2019In 2013, during the coldest month recorded for Winnipeg that year, Chef Mandel Hitzer and his partner created a temporary tasting venue atop a frozen river, a first of its kind. Six years later, same pop-up RAW: almond continues to bring celebrity chefs and hungry guests from across Canada to Manitoba on an annual basis. Meanwhile, restaurant deer + almond continues to feed the hunger needs of Winnipeg’s citizens and guests year-round.
We spoke with Chef Hitzer to find out 10 things never asked before.
1. What’s one spice/seasoning that you could not live without?
2. If could invite one chef to RAW: almond 2020 who would it be?
3. What’s your favourite part of RAW: almond?
Making new friends, learning, sharing ideas and learning about new food techniques.
4. Which dish defined your signature cooking style?
I love making pasta.
5. If you had Pink Peppercorns, Crushed Red Pepper and Turmeric in your kitchen, what would you make?
6. If you were a spice/seasoning, what would you be?
I’d be a sesame seed because, in my opinion, sesame seeds make everything better.
7. Which food do you crave the most?
Orange, you glad I didn’t say pizza? NOODLES! Noodles, favourite food of all time.
8. If you could open a deer + almond anywhere in the world, where would it be?
Barcelona, hands down. One of the greatest places in the world.
9. What’s your most memorable experience since opening deer + almond?
Feeding my family and sharing with them my passion and love for cooking.
10. What is your chef mantra?