Combining a smoked benny and a smoked salmon bagel, this roesti is comprised of eggs, crispy fried capers, fresh dill and pickled red onion. For the hollandaise, zest and spice come together with the perfect pairing of lemon juice and Cholula® Original Hot Sauce.
This recipe was created for Club House for Chefs by: Chris Oliveria of OEB Breakfast Co. in Vancouver, British Columbia.
- Peel and grate the potatoes into a large bowl. Squeeze the potatoes to release as much water as possible. Transfer processed product to another bowl and mix onion, olive oil, black pepper, and salt. Using a non-stick pan over medium heat, add butter and form a 3/4 cup potato pancake with roesti mix. Cook 3-5 minutes per side, or until golden brown. Keep warm until ready to serve.
- Slice red onions into very thin rings, and place in glass bowl or jar with lid. Combine white wine vinegar, water, sugar, salt, black pepper, and chili flakes in a pot and bring to boil. Pour boiling liquid over sliced onions and let cool.
- Whisk together yolks, lemon juice, and Cholula® Original Hot Sauce in a stainless bowl over a double boiler. Drizzle melted butter into the egg mixutre while whisking to produce a stable emulsion, and the mixture has doubled in volume. Season to taste, and cover with plastic wrap and keep warm until service.
- Bring a large pot of water to boil and add 50ml of white vinegar to each 1L of water. Using a slotted spoon, stir the water quickly and add the eggs while water is moving. Let cook for three minutes and drain on a towel to remove excess moisture.
- Put two warm roesti's on a plate and top with cooked spinach. Place sliced smoked salmon to form a rose-like pocket. Place poached egg into pocket, top with 2-3 rings of the pickled onions, and spoon hollandaise over each egg. Garnish with crispy capers and fresh dill.
- Recipe type: Fish Seafood