10 Things You Didn’t Know About Chef Raegan Steinberg & Alex Cohen
November 12 2019In Southwest Montreal lies Arthurs Nosh Bar, a Jewish deli with a mix of Moroccan heritage and global inspiration from the well-travelled palates of Chefs Raegan Steinberg and Alex Cohen.
With Steinberg getting her culinary start at the Art Institute in Vancouver and Cohen, a self-taught, self-starter who worked his way up from the dish pit, the two met one fateful night while both living in Montreal and the rest was history.
This is what you need to know about this duo.
1. What were your favourite dishes growing up?
RS: Steak and lobster.
AC: General tao chicken.
2. One spice/seasoning that’s always in Arthurs pantry?
RS: Hot sauce.
AC: Dried habaneros.
3. Which typically Jewish ingredients would you love to incorporate into your menu next?
RS/AC: Chicken liver.
4. Where do you find inspiration for your dishes?
RS: Travelling, cookbooks and AC’s family.
5. Why did you choose to open your restaurant in Montreal?
AC: Live here.
RS: Born and raised!
6. What’s your favourite part of the Montreal food scene?
RS & AC: Everything.
7. What’s your favourite part working together?
RS/AC: Getting to see each other all the time.
8. Signature dish at Arthurs?
RS/AC: I think it’s a toss-up between the pancakes and the McArthur.
9. Where do you source your ingredients for Arthurs?
RS/AC: Wherever the best ingredients are for the best price.
10. How would you like to grow Arthurs?