Linguine with fennel sofrito, peas, cajun spiced clams, and lemon pepper pangrattato! This recipe was created by chef Samantha Medeiros of La Palma Restaurant, Toronto, ON.
- Small dice all the fennel, celery, and onion and mince 6 cloves of garlic. Add to a small pot, and add enough vegetable oil to just cover.
Bring up to a boil, and then reduce to a simmer and cook on low heat until everything is cooked and translucent (no colour). Set aside.
- Add 500g 00 pasta flour to a bowl and make a well. To the centre of the well, add in 2 whole eggs, 8 pieces of egg yolks, a splash of milk, and olive oil. Slowly incorporate the flour to the centre of the well and mix well until you have a smooth dough, wrap and set aside for 1 hour to rest.
- Roll out dough into thin sheets, and either cut by hand into 1/4 inch pieces or feed through a linguini cutter attachment. Divide into 4 equal portions. Set aside
Lemon Pepper Pangrattato
- In a pan, add 1 Tbsp of olive oil and 1 Tbsp unsalted butter, heat on medium-high until butter is frothing. Add 3 cloves of minced garlic and sweat, then add 2 sprigs of picked fresh thyme. Add in breadcrumbs and toast slightly, then season with lemon pepper seasoning.
- In a large pan, add 2 heaping tablespoons of the fennel sofrito, and a pinch of chili flakes. Add in the pasta clams, 1 Tbsp of cajun spice and deglaze with a splash of white wine and Pernod, cover with a lid to allow the clams to steam (approx 5 mins). start cooking your pasta in boiling salted water until al dente.
- Remove the lid from the pan, and if clams are cooked, add a squeeze of lemon juice, a few tablespoons of butter, a splash of pasta water, and a handful of peas.
You can prepare the sofrito and breadcrumbs ahead of time for ease of assembly. Linguini noodles can be made a day in advance as well.
- Recipe type: Pasta Rice Grains